Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Wrapping up January


 Levi on his first day of school.



Levi loves bubbles in the bath!







We've had a little snow, but not much.  However, we've had several snow days from school.  Go figure.




 Hannah's birthday.  She's 21!  (again)























 Laz's "birthday".  We have no idea of his real birthdate or year, but this is the date on his birth certificate, so he is now eight!!



 We were surprised that after we sang Happy Birthday that he started blowing out the candles.  And he did pretty well!















 This was one of Laz's gifts.  I was not sure how this would go over, but he took to it right away.  At home, normally he flops over and rolls around on the ground to get from one place to another.  I encourage him to be vertical as much as possible, but it is harder for him to scoot and make much progress.  I found this item from Radio Flyer at Walmart, and he loves it!



Levi playing with Playdoh.












My little invention to keep Ruby from walking over my computer and turning it off and doing other magical things.  My hands fit under to type.


 

 Beautiful princesses.



















-


We are thrilled how well Levi is doing.  He continues to learn more English each day.  He is increasingly affectionate and has shown much more eye contact, and much less rocking and other behaviors.  He is genuinely very happy to be here, and like Candice says, "It's impossible not to love this kid!"

He is adjusting well to school, and he seems to have very good and caring teachers.  I am very impressed with the Newcomer's School so far.  I was nervous that the other kids there would make fun of him or not accept him and the principal and admissions people assured me that on the contrary; the kids there would embrace him and take him in they said.  On the second day I was meeting with his teacher while the class went to breakfast.  As I was in the hallway, one child came by and told me, "Levi's coming."  I wondered how he knew Levi after only one day, and how he knew I was his mom!  Then a few moments later, Levi came around the corner with another boy at his elbow, guiding him kindly.   My heart soared.  I remarked about this to the teacher and she shared a moment from the previous school day:  At one point Levi was getting overstimulated and retreated to the side to rock as he does.  One little girl saw him and began to snicker but was quickly reprimanded by another boy who said, "Don't laugh.  He can't help it; we have to help him."   I was very touched.  

Levi is already doing things in school that have surprised me.  He is learning quickly and is a very happy boy.  He is a joy to have in our family.




We must also give an update on Micaiah.  We continue to wait for the dialysis training so that we can bring him home.  We had already cleared the week we understood to be the training week and learned on the Friday beforehand that we needed a home inspection before training could even be scheduled.  So this inspection happened on Monday and went very well. However, the amount of care this boy will need is incredible and overwhelming.  I don't know how we will ever do it all.  

We arranged all that we could so that training will begin next Monday.  Today I learned that this will not be the case.  Micaiah's case is so unique, the hospital has never experienced anything like it and hardly knows what to do with him.  While I was wondering why the insurance company wasn't balking at his staying in the hospital so many days longer the necessary, I learned that the insurance company is not paying for these extra days: the hospital is eating them.  Each diagnoses has a maximum amount the insurance company is bound to pay, and anything beyond that the hospital simply has to absorb.  

The dialysis company that is providing the training will want to be paid for said training, however, Blue Cross refuses to pay for inpatient training.  They only cover out patient.  With Micaiah's broken leg and very precarious situation with his legs, he is not eligible for out patient training.  So we are at a stale mate.  And the different departments of the hospital are all trying to figure out how this will be paid for before they allow us to begin the training.  Right now, it is likely that it will be March before training begins.

In the midst of this, Silas is scheduled for spinal surgery on February 24th.  I would consider trying to reschedule it, but we do not have a good track record on what to expect in Micaiah's case, so I hesitate to change anything when it is so likely to be changed again.  And Silas's surgery must take precedence here.  

Meanwhile, Micaiah is in better spirits each time we visit him.  He seems to be quite comfortable and happy.  He socializes with the nurses and other patients.  He has people coming in to take him on walks, and do art activities, to teach him games and encourage him to do and learn all that he can while he is there.  He is becoming more receptive and cooperative to these efforts.  And so we wait, and we continue to do the things that are needed to prepare for his homecoming.  It is daunting to learn of all the things that will need to be done to bring him home.  We are taking things one day at a time, and trusting God to give us wisdom and strength and resources. 

-

1 comment:

  1. Somehow it makes me feel better that the hospital doesn't really know how to handle Micaiah's case. At least they are willing to keep him there and not worry about the money and be sure he is cared for properly. I'll bet they are writing it up as a case study for other facilities. Do you think you might be able to get nursing care when he comes home? I have no idea how that works but I know the Clantons in Florida ( they are Selah's family) have been able to get nurses in to help.
    I am so happy that Levi is enjoying life! I don't even know him in real life and I think he is an awesome kid. His school sounds like a good place for him and then he gets to come home to chickens! You and your family are doing such a great job with your newest boys and all your kids. I am praying for all of you.

    ReplyDelete