Monday, July 8, 2013

Tea Party, 4th of July, and Hanging Rock


I have a good friend who has blessed us with many hand-me-downs.  This past week we received several boxes and some other goodies, including some outrageously beautiful dress up princess dresses.  I mean, these are Disney store dresses, prom dress quality.  My little princesses had a very fancy tea party with their friend Leyna.



Eden is just so lovely, growing up so fast.







Making cookies for Granny for her birthday!



4th of July grilled steak and chicken fahitas with roasted corn!



Doing fireworks from Canaan!







Kiki and Laz watched from the back of Canaan's truck, but Kiki really didn't like the loud noises and would hide behind Hannah each time something went off.



But she was brave enough to hold a sparkler!











Helping Laz hold a sparkler without poking himself (or anyone else) in the eye.











Happy little Americans running in the cul-de-sac.





And now... off to Hanging Rock.  We hike Hanging Rock at least once a year, but we may have to do this at least once more this summer.  It's such a fun place.

First off on the trail, Canaan caught a crayfish:



And Windsor was not impressed.






 Children whittling with their pocket knives.



 Such a beautiful place.



 Laz, Candice, and Isaac.



 Some friends along with us on this trip.














 Exploring...



 Even Laz made it to the top.  This was Laz's first hike.  This was a little tricky for us, but in the Baker family, nobody gets left behind.  We were able to stroll him up for the first part, but when the trail got rougher, we all took turns toting him and handing him up and down the rocks.  Not sure how we'll manage when he gets heavier, but we'll figure it out.















 Sweet sisters.  (Eden isn't that much shorter; it's how they're standing.)







Laz hiking down to the water fall.  Daddy got quite the workout.




 Enjoying the falls, so refreshing!
































Great looking group!




Okay Eden, now you're scaring me....



 Beautiful Windsor!











 Good sister.


 

Don't be afraid Kiki; I've got you!








































And a fun (but exhausting!) time was had by all!!!
If you've never been to Hanging Rock, you need to go some day!




...

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update, Alynn! I read all of them, as fast as they come, but haven't had a lot of time for any kind of comments for a while.

    Is it my imagination, or is the swelling on Eden's face really shrinking? It was the first thing I noticed as I scrolled down through your post.

    I'm still praying for your family, and "the brothers" every morning and evening in our family worship. Can hardly wait until you get them home! "Emmitt" has been special to me for 2 1/2 years, ever since Pam (http://savinghissparrows.blogspot.com/) first introduced me to RR in December, 2010. I'm SO glad he has a family coming for him, and that your family is that family! May God richly bless you as you grow your family for Him!

    Kathy Kendall
    {Pam's mother)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to ask how you all hiked with Laz. We have a daughter with Spina Bifida and she's unable to walk long distances and we love to hike! She is able to walk (hobble) but more than 1/4 mile and she's done. We're looking forward to figuring out how to adventure with her.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jolene, this was our first time trying it. We're going to think of some ideas before next time. Someone at Art's work said that they had seen someone take a backpack and cut leg holes in the bottom and that it held a child of quite some weight. I'm willing to give it a try! I think it will just take some creativity and we'll figure it out. When our next one comes home, he is 15 and can't walk, so I need to do my homework and figure out what the options are for bringing him along. I just can't imagine leaving anyone out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathy, yes, we think Eden's face has improved so much. When I look closely, I can still see the swelling, and that that side of her mouth still doesn't turn up as much when smiling, but it is progressing from month to month, so I think it will just take time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard some parents of kids with special needs kids say the Ergo holds up to 95lbs. I use it for my 35lb 3 year old and it's still very comfortable. Might be worth looking into. They are quite pricey new, but I found mine at a consignment shop. Thanks for the update! Also praying for your boys to come home soon :)

    ReplyDelete