Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Not an Announcement


Someone asked me if we are adopting again.  At this point, I think it would be more of an announcement to say that we were not adopting anymore, than to say that we were.  And that is something I get asked a lot too, “So is this the last one?  Will there be any more?” 

 

A scenario.   What do you think:     

If the Good Samaritan had walked down the road the next day, and instead of coming across a wounded man, he had come across three wounded men, what do you think he would have done?  Would he have tried to help them all?  Put a couple on his donkey and do what he could for the third?  What do you think?

 

And what if it had been five men, or ten men? 

 

What if it had been a thousand?

 

What do you think he would have done?  Would he have helped the ones he could and come back for more later?  Would he just shrug and say, “This is way too many to help. I’ve already done my share.  It’s someone else’s turn to help this one.”    Or perhaps he would race off to town and tell everyone he met to “Hurry, come help!” 

 

And what if all the people he met just kept going about their business and said things like, “I don’t feel that God has called me to the ministry of helping wounded men.”  Or, “I am pretty sure that helping wounded men is not my spiritual gift, but I’ll get back to you when I know for sure.”  Or maybe, “I do care, but I don’t have any resources to help these wounded men.”  Or, “This just isn’t my thing.  It’s your thing, but it’s not my thing.”

 

And I wonder, what if it were a thousand men, and what if one of those men was my child, or my parent, or my spouse? 

What if one of those men was me? 

Would that make a difference in how I viewed those who passed by?  Those who looked, and saw, and KNEW, and kept walking?  Kept “serving” in other important capacities?

 

 

So when will we stop adopting children?  That’s like asking the Good Samaritan when has he helped enough wounded men?  When do you say to God, “I think I’ve done enough here.   Don’t ask me to do any more.”?  And people don’t see the part where I come home from every adoption, hoping that it is the last one. Only people who have adopted know how difficult it is, and only people who really know me, know how grueling and against my “grain” the whole process is to me.  No, it doesn’t come naturally, and no, it’s not my “thing”.   

They don’t see how I struggle to begin each process, and how I wrestle and wake in the night.  They can’t even imagine how I argue with myself and rationalize that I have done enough and that it is time for someone else to answer God’s call, and time for me to take care of the ones I have while I can. 

But who am I to decide these things?  When you are certain God has asked you to do something, you will have no peace until you relent.  I don’t know how else to explain it. 

 

So if you are wondering if there is going to be one more, yes, there will probably always be one more.  And when we don’t qualify to adopt anymore, then you can be sure we will be helping – in SOME WAY – those who are. 

 

Over the past years I have walked these roads, and become more and more informed on the circumstances of orphans in the world today.  I have developed many thoughts about what the problems are and what might solve some of these problems.  I have been fascinated by documentaries like: 

 
 

 

 

Watch one of these documentaries, and then say that you don’t understand why I am compelled to do something.  The issues vary from country to country.  But once you know, once you’ve seen what is happening, you cannot say you didn’t know anymore.  And it is no longer an issue of “callings” or spiritual gifts or personalities any more than it would be if you saw a car barreling down on an unsuspecting child.  Would you stop and ask yourself questions, analyzing what your next course of action should be?  Or would you instinctively react to save? 

 

The next little Baker may surprise you, especially since he is not so little.  He is 15 and living in a level 4 (very poor) institution in Eastern Europe.  Most of the children and young adults living in this institution have mental challenges, but solely because of his physical disabilities, he was placed here.  Those who have met him all agree “He should never have been brought here.”’  He is trapped in a body that does not work, and trapped in an institution that is not equipped to meet the needs of a mentally sound young man.  And at age 16, his chances will be gone.  He will no longer have an opportunity to join a family of his own, but will be condemned to live the entirety of his life in a similar type institution setting.  A bright, gentle, chatty boy.  Imagine the potential here. 

But it’s about so more than potential – potential would simply imply that I can see which lives are worth saving and which are not.  No – it’s  about LIFE.  God is the one who started this whole business of human life having value, and He is the one who deemed it all valuable.  I didn’t make this up.  It is simply up to us to decide whether we believe Him or not.  If we believe that all human life has value, then we will do what we can to protect that life, whether in the womb or out of it.  If all the Christians who vehemently support life in the womb were to as consistently show responsibility to  the lives of those children who were not aborted, how many orphans would there be in the world today? 

 

And now a young man has just turned 15, and still waits by the side of the road.  For years people have passed him by.  Some have gone to town, or down other roads to yell for help.  I was walking down a blog road when I first heard that desperate yell for help.  “Hurry!  Time is running out for this one!”  So I turned aside, and onto a street called “Reece’s Rainbow”  (www.reecesrainbow)  and there lay “Emmitt”.   (“Emmitt” is an assigned name as they cannot reveal the children’s real names.)   He was approximately 12 in this photo.
 
 

He is 15 now, and lies there still,  but not much longer!  Emmitt has a family now, and brothers and sisters who are eagerly waiting to meet him.  He has a home, and a family who is ready to teach him whatever he has missed over all these years.  He has those who love him and are going to find out what can be done with those legs of his, and help him to reach his full potential, physically, mentally and spiritually.  Emmitt now has a mom who is scurrying around collecting papers and documents to bring him home, and wondering if she can do it, and how it will all get done because her heart is big, but her strength and faith are small.  But over all of it, Emmitt has a God who is orchestrating all these steps to bring him home, and to teach him about His Heavenly Father who has never once forgotten him.

 
 

Reece’s Rainbow is not only a non-profit organization but also a very tight-knit and supportive group of adopting families and those advocating for these children.  There have already been a couple of fundraisers organized which have included Emmitt in those they are benefiting.  One exciting one is the 2013 Mulligan Stew here:  
 

All donations are tax deductible and go to support the family or child of your choice.  Our family is included in this fundraiser.

There are more than $5,000 in prizes being offered in this giveaway! 

This is a fun way to support adoptive families.  Please consider participating in this opportunity. 
 
 
 

 
 

4 comments:

  1. Emmitt is special to me - I'm so glad he will be able to come home soon! He will be so blessed in your family! Thanks for choosing him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emmitt is special to me, too -- and has been ever since Pam (above -- and my oldest daughter) first introduced me to RR a little over 2 years ago.

    I, too, am really glad he has a family, and that your family is soon to be his family! I have read your entire blog, from beginning to end, and have enjoyed it immensely!

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another thought -- I really appreciate your transparency in the above blog post. I am sure adopting is NOT an easy road. I can only imagine the mental struggles you are challenged with -- I went through similar (though entirely different, if that makes sense) mental struggles and arguments with myself when I was caring for my 94-year-old mother-in-law (Pam's paternal grandmother) not so long ago, in the last months of her life.

    Caring for her was a huge privilege and blessing, one that I will treasure the rest of my life, one that I would not take all the money in the world for. Having said that, I remember lying awake at night, wrestling with decisions that were HARD for me to make, decisions that went totally against my "comfort grain," decisions about putting what was best for her over what was easiest and most "pleasant" for me. Doing what is right is never easy, but the rewards (many of them "intangible"!) far outweigh (in the "big picture") the (relatively) short-term "challenges" of the immediate present.

    I don't know if all this makes sense or not. I hope it does. Hang in there, Alynn. The going may be rough, but that which God calls us to do He will provide the strength necessary to accomplish the task.

    Again, I really appreciate you stepping outside your comfort zone once more, to add Emmitt to your family. I am (still) praying for you as you wade through the daunting process of yet another "paperwork pregnancy," and for Emmitt, that God will lead and guide in each of your lives.

    Kathy

    P. S. I'll be thinking of, and praying for, your family in a special way as we drive past your town on our way east to visit my husband's almost-98-year-old twin aunts on Tuesday of next week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY God! Emmitt has a family! Emmitt stole my heart around Christmastime and I am thrilled to see he has a future with your family! We wanted badly to consider him and a few other RR children but right now is not the time to add more children for our family (we added 3 just 6 months ago)....one thing I say is "Don't ask us when we're done; ask us who is next!"

    ReplyDelete