Saturday, February 11, 2012

Something New....

For several reasons, I have decided to try something new. I will be archiving our abarrelofbakers site, and replacing it with this blog. From what I can tell so far, this is going to be a more useful format for what I am trying to do.
And what exactly am I trying to do? Keeping up a website, or a blog, is not easy. It takes time, and sometimes money. It can be frustrating, and many times I have considered just not doing it at all. Then I think of the handful of people that I do do this for.
First, I do it for our family and friends. All of our extended family live far from us, as do many of our closest friends we have made over the years. These are not a whole lot of people, to be sure, but I know that the ones who do visit our website regularly, apparently want to keep doing so. This is a central, comparatively simple way to update everyone at once about what is going on in our lives.
Secondly, it is an easy way to tell those we meet along the way what we are about. Our family attracts attention, and we get a lot of questions. I often give out our website address for those who really want to know more. We are not that private, really, and as Christians, I don’t think we’re really supposed to be. We’re supposed to live our faith out loud and openly: “Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have.” (1 Peter 3:15) Does this make us vulnerable? Certainly! But have you heard of any earnest disciple of Christ who didn’t open themselves up to vulnerability? It opens us up to those who would want to criticize and discourage us (and they are many) and it is not lightly entered into. But we want people to know why we do what we do, and why we live how we live. Our prayer is that those who don’t understand, might begin to, and those who do understand, might not feel so alone, because face it, there aren’t many of us like this out there. We are consumed with knowing and following what is True, and giving glory to God.
I also openly advocate on this site for the causes that are dear to our hearts: adoption, orphans, creationism, family, marriage, homeschooling and others. I want to give encouragement and any advice I can from our experiences.
So I will share family photos and life happenings, along with my own musings, quotes, favorite books, lyrics and anything else I feel might help someone else. The goal of this site is, above all, to be a ministry. One of my favorite books is Katie Davis’s “Kisses From Katie”. I like what she wrote in the introduction to her book:
“I am writing on the chance that a glimpse into the life of my family and me, full of my stupidity and God’s grace, will remind you of this living, loving Christ, and what it means to serve Him. I am writing with the hope that as you cry and laugh with my family you will be encouraged that God still uses flawed human beings to change the world. And if He can use me, He can use you.”
And I hope you will be patient with me as my old, distracted, often interrupted brain tries to learn something new. Check back often as I learn to upload photos and other content. It may take me a while!

No comments:

Post a Comment